Stephen: Which movie are you most looking forward to in 2019?
The Ringer has compiled this list of 25 movies being released in 2019 that everyone will be talking about. Here are 10 of them (see full list at the link):
- Uncut Gems. This New York-set thriller follows a jewelry-store owner, played by Adam Sandler, struggling with a gambling addiction. Former NBA star Kevin Garnett also stars in the film.
- High Flying Bird. Steven Soderbergh’s film stars André Holland as an agent scrambling to satisfy a high-profile client in the shadow of a league lockout
- The Irishman. Based on the nonfiction book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt, the film starts Robert De Niro as Frank Sheeran, a labor union official who doubled as a hitman for the Bufalino crime family.
- The Beach Bum. The latest film from Harmony Korine (Spring Breakers) stars Matthew McConaughey as Moondog, a devoted stoner living it up in Los Angeles.
- Ad Astra. This stars Brad Pitt as a man who journeys across a lawless solar system to find his missing father (Tommy Lee Jones)— a renegade scientist who poses a threat to humanity.
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette. Based on Maria Semple’s novel, this one explores the mysterious disappearance of an agoraphobic architec (Cate Blanchett).
- Little Women. Greta Gerwig’s indie take on Louisa May Alcott’s famous novel features the likes of Emma Watson, Meryl Streep and Laure Dern.
- High Life. Monte (Robert Pattinson) and his baby daughter are the last survivors of a damned and dangerous mission to the outer reaches of the solar system.
- Benedetta. This film from Paul Verhoven tells the story of a novice nun in the 17th century who joins an Italian convent and begins a love affair with another woman.
- First Cow. Kelly Reichhardt’s film follows Cookie Figowitz, the cook for a party of volatile fur trappers trekking through the Oregon Territory in the 1820s who joins up with refugee Henry Brown and begins a wild ride that takes them all the way to China and back again.