How do you manage stress? Meet it head on? Work around it?
Mental Floss has compiled a list of six seemingly boring tasks that are actually great for managing your stress. Here they are:
- Washing the dishes. With the right mindset, zoning out in front of a sudsy sink is basically Nirvana.
- Decluttering your home. Research suggests that clutter is more likely to stress out women.
- Exercising in a group. Exercising with a group is more beneficial at reducing stress than working out alone.
- Sniffing your partner’s laundry. A 2018 study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology shows that sniffing a loved one’s clothes can reduce stress.
- Dwelling on your failures. Writing about a previous failure may allow an individual to experience a new stressor as less stressful, reducing its physiological and behavioral effects
- Singing for all to hear. A study found that, in people with Parkinson’s disease, singing in a group can reduce heart rate, blood pressure, and cortisol levels.