10 things you may not know about Costco
Mental Floss has compiled a list of 14 wild facts about Costco that you probably don’t know. Here are the top 10 (see full list at the link):
- You don’t actually need a Costco membership to shop there. If you know a member, they can purchase a Costco Cash (i.e. gift) Card on your behalf, which you can use at your leisure.
- Costco likes to mess with your brain. Costco often stocks a variety of large-ticket items–expensive handbags, entire barrels of Jack Daniel’s Whiskey–because retailers know that the desire and excitement they cause releases dopamine.
- No ID? Airport security might accept your Costco card. KPIX 5 in San Francisco discovered the TSA will accept everything from utility bills to Costco cards as proof of identity. The catch: you’re more likely to get a pat down or a swab test than if you used your driver’s license.
- Costco made Brad Pitt an unsatisfied customer. In July 2015, Pitt wrote to CEO Craig Jelinek, asking him to set a timetable for the company to stop selling eggs produced from cage-raised hens.
- The Costco rotisserie chicken has its own fan page. The company moves 157,000 whole birds every single day, estimating they lose $30 to $40 million a year by sticking to a $4.99 price point.
- One Costco store has horse and buggy parking for the Amish. In Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the parking lot features a livestock parking stall, with a rail to tie up horses, and a roof to shield them from inclement weather.
- Costco once had to recall a punching bag filled with dirty underwear. In 2007, Costco was forced to send out a public recall notice after discovering punching bags made by TKO, Inc. were filled with dirty men’s and women’s underwear instead of sand.
- Costco considers shopping to be a “treasure hunt.” The company regularly relocates necessities like toiletries, light bulbs, and other frequently-replenished items so the customer has to begin a search for them and see new areas of the store.
- Costco once labeled the Bible as “fiction.” A Simi Valley pastor incited a minor Twitter flare-up in November 2013 when he was browsing in a Costco and noticed their copies of the Bible were labeled “fiction.”
- Costco is America’s biggest car dealer. Costco moved nearly 650,000 cars in 2018, making it the nation’s biggest car dealer.